About the job
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an Advocacy Communications Specialist who can leverage creative, global advocacy to advance Wikimedia’s free knowledge public policy agenda. The position will report to the Senior Communications Manager in the Communications department.
This is a highly collaborative role in which you will work closely with the Communications and Public Policy teams to create and execute advocacy campaigns to drive our public policy agenda, which is focused on opening access to free knowledge around the globe. You will use communications to educate and connect lawmakers and public audiences to our public policy work in the areas of knowledge access, privacy, internet regulation, online censorship, and copyright. You will build advocacy strategies that leverage communications tactics, develop key policy communications materials including blog posts, op-eds, and social media content, and measure the impact of these efforts in furthering our policy goals.
Shaping and executing advocacy strategies, including:
- Advising and advancing the Wikimedia Foundation’s public policy priorities with a focus on communications tactics including media outreach, social and digital media, op-eds, public speaking, and thought leadership.
- In close collaboration with Communications and Public Policy staff, guiding the development and supporting dissemination of advocacy communications products for Wikimedia’s global advocacy work on knowledge access, copyright, censorship, internet regulation, and privacy.
- Serving as the liaison between the Public Policy team and the Communications department, and ensuring that projects are being built proactively.
- Collaborating with the Digital Communications team to develop and coordinate social media content for Wikimedia advocacy communications plans, and dissemination of materials via email, social media, and other avenues.
- Collaborating within the Communications team to leverage earned media (media outreach, op-eds, etc.) and build relationships with reporters aligned with our policy priorities.
- Developing public-facing advocacy messaging and materials that convey Wikimedia’s unique relationship to the policy issues that we pursue, and supports the work of partners and affiliates.
- Proactively identifying strategic opportunities for Wikimedia to engage in policy discussions in the news, on social media, and in other thought leadership spaces (ex. conferences).
- Cultivating and sustaining a network of communications advocacy partners to scale impact for major campaigns and policy initiatives.
- Creating and maintaining foundational advocacy materials including one-pagers, fact sheets, blog posts, and website content.
- Triaging and responding to crisis communications incidents that impact our public policy work, including censorship events.
- Creating training presentations and materials, toolkits, and guides for Wikimedia community groups and members working in public policy.
- Reviewing policy briefs, external statements and other materials drafted by the policy team shaping the content to ensure that it is clear, flows logically, and conveys the message powerfully and effectively.
- Developing our public policy staff as thought leaders and spokespeople with press, leading media training and identifying opportunities for staff to engage in policy forums.
- Minimum of three years experience working in advocacy, public policy, or mission-driven communications
- Strong verbal and written communication, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing multiple projects at once, with an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and a desire to tackle challenging problems
- The ability to work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics, as well as the flexibility to virtually meet with people in multiple time zones